HOW MUCH DO YOU LOVE YOURSELF? July 13, 2017 – Posted in: Everyday Living
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love & affection.” ~Buddha
I have 2 questions on self love I have always been drawn to. 1. If someone asked you how much you love yourself on a scale of 1-10, what would your answer be? 2. If someone asked you to make a list of the everything you love, how long will it take for you to mention yourself?
Naturally, people take the time to nurture relationships with others, they go above and beyond for the people they love in terms of showing said love and being there, they compliment strangers, they idolize beauty in people online they’ve never met. When was the last time you went above and beyond for yourself? When was the last time you appreciated anything about yourself?
Loving one’s self should manifest in all ways we treat ourselves. I don’t believe that anyone is capable of feeling love for another without first feeling love for self. Here are my thoughts on self love below:
- No one would value you more than you value yourself. The reason some people might not be kind to you and choose to continually trample on you and take advantage of you being there is not just because they’re bad; it’s also because you allow it. People will always cross lines if boundaries are not set. A good sign of how you love yourself shows in how you allow people to treat you. Love yourself enough to demand respect and kindness from the people you allow in your space. Also understand that not everyone you come across is meant to set camp in your life. Practise self pleasing and not people pleasing
- When you look in the mirror, what do you see and what do you think about yourself? Do you love and accept what you see or do you spend time criticising the little parts of you that make you whole? Reminder – Darling, you’re stuck with yourself. Try to change the physical attributes that are in your control such as your weight and learn to practise acceptance for the things you have no control over such as your height.
- One of the ways to love yourself is to create the life that YOU want to live. In the past i’ve made decisions based on how it would affect those around me because I love them and I didn’t want to disappoint them. This is all good and well but i realised that while i was busy moulding my life for their approval, they were also living their own lives on their own terms. Who says you can’t also do that? Live your life on your own terms. Living life for others gives you room to blame someone else when in future you’ve not achieved much. NO ONE BUT YOU IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW YOU TURN OUT IN LIFE
- You can’t say you love something and not look after it. Self love is spiritual, physical and emotional. What do you fill your spirit with? How do you grow spiritually? Are you taking care of your body? Eating the right stuff and working out also? Are you emotionally sound? Take the time to care for you mind, soul and body.
- Accept who you really are. The thing with not accepting yourself is that it shows, this non-acceptance translates to low self esteem and affects all areas of your life. Be confident in who you are and trust in your ‘amazing’ regardless of who else sees that. You, more than anyone, needs to know that you are worthy.
How are you going to love yourself more or how do you already practise self love? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.
Love x Light,