POTENTIAL: Are You Everything You Can Possibly Be? October 27, 2017 – Posted in: Life Stories
There lies within each person a huge reservoir of untapped potential for achievement, success, happiness, health and greater prosperity. It’s like an ocean unsailed, a new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be released and channelled toward some great good. – Jim Rohn
With ‘Potential’, I believe that most people do not know just how much they are capable of being and achieving. Lately, my greatest prayer has been to utilize as much of my ‘hidden’ talents I possibly can. Do you know just how much you’re capable of achieving? Are you actually doing all that you possibly can in life? Is this your absolute best life?
One’s potential needs to be realized. It’s a fear in itself to go through life not realizing how much untapped resources one has internally because we choose the common path of comfort that’s often the standard of life; we work in very basic companies doing very basic roles never quite asking for more but fully aware that there is possibly more out there but at the same time afraid to leave our so sweet comfort to do much about that so a month turns into a year and then to a decade and dreams become so far fetched and life even more comfortable so then we learn to practice acceptance but still guard our kids into living ‘safe’ lives all the while admiring the Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerbergs of the world. It’s a pure disservice to self to not strive to be the best version of self. Don’t be that person that once had ‘potential’
“What is “potential”? It is your unused strengths. Your hidden talents. Your untapped abilities. Your dormant talents. Your capped capabilities.” There is a great wealth of potential inside you and it takes actual effort and determination to turn potential to established reality. There is reason it’s called ‘untapped’, this is because it’s not something that’s automatically sitting to be used, it’s something you have to dig in to find and then nurture until it blooms. It’s not about being discovered, it’s about discovering yourself and striving to perfect your art. People have a way of noticing greatness no matter how hidden. Just do your part.
“Everyone has inside himself a piece of good news! The good news is that you really don’t know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is!” – Anne Frank
I’ve made a list below of 5 steps that can take you closer to discovering your hidden talents and unlocking your potential
- Pay attention – Give mind to your ‘strengths’, things that you are naturally good at. Be it a skill or a talent, anything you can do exceptionally well is worth paying attention to and nurturing.
- Self Discovery – The more you pay attention to self the more you can focus on learning where your potential may lie. Learn more about you, spend time with yourself. Invest as much time and energy into knowing yourself deeply as much as you would someone you cared about. You deserve your attention
- Remove the traditional thinking cap you’ve been conditioned to put on – Talent is not always ‘mainstream’, don’t discard something you’re good at and can be great at just because you don’t consider it to be glamorous enough. Be true and fair to self. Focus on your race and what you excel at and not what is considered to be ‘cool’
- Self-improvement – Learn, learn and then learn some more. Where there is knowledge there is power and potentially wealth. Read yourself into success, let your experiences land you in the right circles. Read books, understand that there is a whole big world out of Lekki 1, VI and Ikoyi, educate yourself on world current events, learn a foreign language, where you can, experience as much foreign countries as you can, always strive to be better than you were yesterday. Task yourself to learn something new each day, in improving self through knowledge and experiences you just might find what your ‘calling is’.
- Action – Finding and nurturing your ‘potential’ takes a world of effort. I’m currently in this phase and it’s a time filled with self doubt, confusion, lack of stability, more confusion on if you’re doing the right thing but i’m learning to persevere. As hard as it might be, show up and do the work. This requires immense discipline but it’s a process that can not be skipped. You think you can be a great writer? Write everyday until you improve. You think you have what it takes to be the next great photographer? How much are you testing? Are you willing to be humble and intern with one of the good ones and learn while having access to cameras to learn more with? You must do the work that needs to be done
You must decide if you are going to rob the world or bless it with the rich, valuable, potent, untapped resources locked away within you. – Myles Munroe
In 5 years are you going to be on the path of success or are you going to be that man or woman that was so full of potential but never quite made it? Challenge yourself. I believe in you and in your ability to unlock your potential and truly be great.
Love x Light,