HOW TO TAKE ACTION May 15, 2017 – Posted in: Everyday Living
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I heard a man say recently that “there are so many talented people that will never be successful simply because they lack the ability to put action behind their words and dreams” and this caused me to stop and reflect some and i realised that dreaming up an idea is not the hard part, as they say – ideas are a dime a dozen; the hard part of achieving a dream is the effort it takes into actually planning it, setting actionable steps and working on these steps consistently. It is much easier than done but the reality is that simply wanting something is not enough, to achieve set goals and dreams, one must relentlessly work hard and work smart.
These are my tips for how to effectively take action:
- Think, research and rethink – I see people that have ideas and literally just start running with it without doing any form of analysis, survey or research. Once an idea is birthed, you must learn everything there is to know about said idea, research and understand what you’re getting yourself into. Take your time in this process.
- Have a plan – Sometimes people start up businesses or run with ideas without any solid plan, what this does is that it creates an unclear path as there is no blueprint to follow so they’re just going with the flow which is fine if you’re a gypsy but one always needs clear paths to follow in life and dreams
- Have set goals – Setting goals helps you reach your full potential; constantly setting and achieving short term and long term goals helps boost confidence and increases belief in one’s self and abilities to achieve.
- Have clear and realistic timelines – The best way to measure goals is to have a time frame e.g. I want to achieve xyz and based on analysis, it should take xyz time to accomplish. This clear means of goal setting within timelines helps to monitor progress and to show what percentage you’ve achieved and what’s left to complete
- START – Planning is good but doing is what really matters. Just start. Just go. Just do.
- Evaluate and adjust as needed – If there’s one thing i’ve learnt it’s this; life is a constant lesson. You can do all the evaluation and research you need but there are some things you will never discover until you experience. Learn to experience and adjust evaluation as needed.
“It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.” – Leonardo Da Vinci
There are certain things to note and some things to avoid as you start to take action:
- Instant gratification is a myth – The things you dream of will not happen overnight. Building takes time, building something sustainable takes an even longer time, dedication, consistency and hard-smart work. Learn to be patient with yourself and your dreams
- There is no fulfilment in comparisons so drop it – Sometimes people are hard on themselves because it takes person A x time to ‘supposedly’ achieve something and it takes them double the time to do the same thing. Do not compare your journey to any one else’s, focus on you, your process and your progress.
- Learn to let ‘What if’s’ go – There will be so many things you wish you had done differently, on the hard days you will struggle to remember why you started but keep looking forward. There is no joy in looking to the back wondering what if and dwelling in shoulda, woulda, coulda. Learn what you must from mistakes and move on. Dwelling in regret is a hindrance to success
- Be willing to learn, unlearn and re-learn as needed – It’s amazing how much information is out in the world. We don’t know as much as we think we do and sometimes we have ‘false knowledge’. Be willing to be educated. It’s ok to not know and it’s ok to be taught. Do not be ashamed to say ‘i don’t know’. There is beauty in learning.
- Failing once does not make you a failure – Sometimes you get it right the first time and other times you try, you fail, you learn, then you try again and that’s ok.
It’s a Monday so it’s a great time to set your goals for the week. Do not be afraid to start, do not be afraid of failure and most importantly, do not be afraid of success. Take action today.
What ‘action’ tips do you have to share with us today? Please comment and share
Love x Light,